What are Dermal Fillers?
As we age, our faces naturally lose fat that is situated under skin. The facial muscles are then working closer to the skin surface, so wrinkles and fine lines become more visible.
Dermal fillers are mostly based on hyaluronic acid and calcium hydroxylapatite and are often a kind of soft tissue. These fillers are injectable products and is used to fill wrinkles for purposes of improving the appearance.
As you age, the cheeks may flatten and the skin may begin to sag. This is caused by natural loss of volume in the cheek area, or what the experts call age-related midface volume loss. JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is designed to add volume beneath the skin’s surface, which provides lift and contour to the cheek area. Over time, due to aging, wrinkles develop on your face, and nasolabial folds may become more visible. JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC is designed to temporarily add volume to the facial wrinkles for a smoother appearance to the face. The lidocaine in the gel improves the comfort of the injection by reducing sensitivity to pain.
JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC is injected into the areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur, including the “parentheses lines” around the nose and mouth. JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC is designed to temporarily correct facial wrinkles for a smoother appearance to the face.
JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral lines, often called “lipstick lines”.JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC is a crystal-clear gel that is injected directly into and around the lips using an ultra-fine needle to temporarily plump the lips for lip augmentation and to smooth the appearance of lines around the mouth. The lidocaine gel improves the comfort of the injection by reducing sensitivity to pain.
JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC temporarily adds volume to facial tissue and restores a smoother appearance to the face. The lidocaine in the gel improves the comfort of the injection. Also, JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC temporarily adds fullness for lip enhancement.
JUVÉDERM® XC corrects moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as the parentheses lines or “smile lines” around the nose and mouth. JUVÉDERM® XC is injected into areas of facial tissue where moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds occur to temporarily add volume to the skin, which may give the appearance of a smoother surface.
JUVÉDERM® ULTRA PLUS
JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus injectable gel is a hyaluronic acid gel that is injected into facial tissue to smooth wrinkles and folds, especially around the nose and mouth..
BELOTERO BALANCE is a prescription injection that is approved to temporarily smooth out and fill in moderate to- severe nasolabial folds (the folds or wrinkles that go from the side of the nose to the corner of the mouth) tear trough and fine lines etc.
Radiesse uses calcium-based microspheres to correct wrinkles and folds in the face and hands. The microspheres stimulate your body to produce collagen. RADIESSE is a collagen stimulator. It stimulates the body’s process of generating collagen and encourages growth, for a more refreshed appearance, so beauty can bloom.
ADDTIONAL RESTYLANE’S: LYFT, L, REFINE, DEFYNE, SILK AND KYSSE
The Restylane family of products are Restylane , Restylane L, Restylane Lyft, Restylane Silk, Restylane Refyne, Restylane Defyne, and Restylane Kysee.
RESTYLANE is a clear gel formulation of hyaluronic acid that is specifically formulated to act like your body’s own naturally produced hyaluronic acid, helping to visibly correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, including the lines that run from your nose toward the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds) and the lines that run from the corners of your mouth toward the chin (marionette lines). Your provider will let you know which Restylane product is best for you.
How do Dermal Fillers work?
The body does not consider dermal fillers as a foreign substance and are considered safe. These fillers help to diminish facial lines and restore volume and fullness in the face by filling the area under the skin. Some fillers are natural and some are synthetic, but they all work to improve the appearance of skin in the following ways:
- Filling and softening wrinkles, fine lines and deep creases
- Improving the appearance of other imperfections like recessed scars
- Plumping up the cheeks
- Plumping thin lips
- Contouring the jaw line and other areas of the face
- Enhancing shallow contours
- Frown Lines
- Cheek Augmentation
- Under Eyes
- Smile Lines
- Droopy Lips
What are the common side effects of Dermal Fillers?
Common unwanted effects of an improperly performed dermal filler procedure commonly include bruising, redness and pain at the injection site.
Swelling, redness, firmness, itching and tenderness may be present for up two weeks. Use of cool packs may be used as needed.
- Sleep with your head elevated to reduce the amount of swelling.
- Do not massage or put pressure on the treated area, unless instructed by Shahnaz.
- Wait 4 hours to apply cosmetics, moisturizer or any lotions on the area.
- Avoid direct sunlight or extreme cold weather until initial swelling and/or redness has subsided.
- Do not do heavy aerobic exercises, or do anything to raise your core body temperature or blood pressure for 24 hours.
- The results will be immediate, but its best effects are noted after swelling has resolved.
- Motrin or Advil (Ibuprofen), or Tylenol (Acetaminophen) may be used as directed on the bottle, for any discomfort after injection.
- Benadryl 25-50mg, per directions on bottle, may be used for itching. Benadryl can make you sleepy. Do not drive or perform any activities accordingly.
- The use of Arnica Montana (available at health food stores), may help with bruising. It is available topically and orally. Follow bottle directions.
- Lumps, bumps or irregular, asymmetrical areas may be noted, especially once swelling has subsided. It is normal to feel lumps and bumps, however they should not be visible.
- Any severe swelling, itching, redness, increasing discomfort or discharge from treated area should be reported to the office.
- Periodic touch-ups will help sustain the desired level of correction.
- It can take up to TWO weeks for swelling and any bruising to subside. If additional filler is desired an area of pervious treatment, your provider may ask you to wait until the 2 weeks has passed.
Courtesy of the National Laser Institute